100 Days of Summer Events Continue With Free Concerts, Movies in the Park
2011-07-21 · By Editor
This summer Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine continues to offer hundreds of free and low cost recreational events under the umbrella of “100 Days of Summer.” Residents have plenty of options to stay and play in Long Beach between now and Labor Day.
The Long Beach Long Beach Convention and Visitor’s Bureau has partnered with the Department to create www.100daysofsummer.org, a searchable calendar of free concerts and movies, Long Beach Sea Festival events, El Dorado Nature Center and historic site events, and ideas for spontaneous fun like hiking, biking, golf, tennis, swimming, and youth and teen programs.
Fun Events for Summer in Long Beach
Thursday Night Concerts in the Park
Bring the family for an evening of games, moon bounces and great music. 6-8 p.m. Free.
- July 21: Manea Polynesian Revue at Houghton Park
- July 28: Susie Hansen Latin Band at Chavez Park
El Dorado Nature Center Summer Concerts
Enjoy music and a sunset picnic by the lake. Bring low chairs or blankets and an earth-friendly dinner. Gates open at 6:30 p.m., Music from 7-8 p.m. $3 per person. Ages 12 and under free.
- July 21 Sligo Rags (Celtic Folk Rock)
Rancho Los Cerritos Summer Concerts in the Garden
On Sunday evenings from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. pack a picnic, grab some friends, and enjoy a concert on the historic grounds of Rancho Los Cerritos. The gates open at 5 pm. and the adobe home will remain open for tours throughout the evening. The summer concerts are free.
- July 24 Crazy Rhythm Hot Society Orchestra (’20s Big Band)
Movies in the Park Sponsored by Signal Hill Petroleum
The movie and popcorn are free, the time spent, as a family is priceless. Movies begin at dusk. Come early for games and moon bounce fun.
- “The Karate Kid,” will be fun for the entire family on July 22 at Admiral Kidd Park.
- “How to Train Your Dragon” will be featured July 25 at Wardlow Park, July 27 at Scherer Park, and on July 29 at Stearns Champions Park.
Long Beach Municipal Band
The Long Beach Municipal Band is performing for its 102nd season! The free concerts begin at 6:30 p.m. in parks throughout the city.
- Enjoy the music with feature guest vocalist Nicole Kubis the evening of July 21 at Marine Stadium, and July 22 at El Dorado Park.
- Tony Galla provides the finale on July 26 at Bixby/Bluff Park; July 27 at Los Cerritos Park, July 28 at Marine Stadium, and July 29 at El Dorado Park.
Summer Fun Days continue through September 2
Monday through Friday, children ages 5-12 can visit their neighborhood park for six hours of fun drop-in activities including games, arts & crafts, special events and field trips. Call your local park for a specific schedule of activities. This is a drop-in program and there is no custodial childcare provided.
For more information on summer events in Long Beach visit the “100 Days of Summer” website at www.100daysofsummer.org.