Recent Armed Robberies Prompt Safety Alert For 2nd District
2013-12-11 · By Editor
Commander Rocchi of LBPD’s West Division would like to share with you that there have been several armed robberies in the Beat 8 area mostly south of 5th Street and east of Alamitos for cell phones. Both males and females were victimized as they walked and talked on their smart phones. Suspect(s) are described as male African Americans in their twenties armed with a handgun which may be a real firearm or a replica. Citizens are urged to take extra precautions in the hours of darkness as most of these robberies have occurred between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.
The Long Beach Police Department would like to provide the community with some simple, but effective crime prevention tips. Street robberies are violent crimes that can be a very traumatic experience for the victim. Not only is there a loss of property that is taken during the robbery, but the victim can be injured during the incident as well. One of the best ways to protect yourself from becoming a victim of a crime is to be aware of your surroundings and to diligently practice the following safety tips:
- Always be alert and aware of your surroundings and the people around you.
- Whenever possible, avoid using your IPOD, cell phone, or portable game system while walking in public areas.
- Don’t “advertise” that you have valuables in public view (money, jewelry, electronic devices, etc.).
- Be aware of locations and situations, which make you vulnerable to crime, such as dark parking lots, walkways, ATM machines, and alleys.
- Whenever possible, travel with a friend.there is safety in numbers.
- Stay in well lighted areas as much as possible.
- Walk close to the curb and avoid doorways, bushes, and alleys where someone could hide.
- Report suspicious activity immediately to 9-1-1.
Finally, getting to know your neighbors will not only create a safe environment but a more enjoyable neighborhood as well. Thank you for your support and continued partnership in keeping our neighborhoods safe.