Belmont Plaza Temporary Pool Grand Opening, December 19
2013-12-17 · By Editor
Long Beach Mayor Bob Foster, City Councilmember Gary DeLong, and the Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine invite the public to attend a grand opening celebration for the Belmont Plaza Temporary Pool on Thursday, December 19, at 4 pm. Belmont Plaza Temporary Pool is located at 4000 Olympic Plaza in Long Beach.
“This 50-meter heated pool will be full of youth and adults enjoying fun, healthy activities ranging from community use to competitions,” Mayor Bob Foster said.
The Olympic-length pool is made out of stainless steal with a vinyl lining. It can be configured to have 10 50-meter lanes or 18 25-meter lanes, with ample opportunities for recreational and lap swimming, water exercise classes, competitive swimming and high school and collegiate water polo programs.
“This versatile pool will provide year-round enjoyment for both the competitive swimming community and the recreational swimming community,” said Councilmember Gary DeLong, who represents the 3rd District. “People are very excited to return to this venue, and look forward to seeing the permanent world class aquatic facility begin to take shape.”
The pool’s features include:
- Shallow water in approximately 40 percent of the pool to accommodate recreational and learn-to-swim programs.
- Enough deep water to accommodate an all-deep competition water polo course with floating goal as well as two all-deep practice water polo courses with fixed goals.
- A lift and two sets of stairs with double rails for disabled access.
- Bleacher seating for more than 300 people.
- A moveable bulkhead that can adjust swim lengths to 50 meters or 25 meters.
The pool was installed to provide services offered by Belmont Pool Natatorium, which was permanently closed in February when it was deemed seismically and structurally unsafe. The natatorium will be replaced with a new permanent facility in the same area.
Residents can access the temporary pool from Ocean Boulevard and Bennett Avenue and park to the east of the pool, or park in the Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier parking lot to the west.
For more information, please call Aquatics Supervisor Lori Jarmacz at 562.570.1809, or visit www.lbparks.org.