Bixby Knolls Revisits The ’60’s For August First Fridays
2013-07-31 · By Editor
Stop, children, what’s that sound? Everybody look what’s going down…IN BIXBY KNOLLS. For our August First Fridays, we’re turning back the clock to the Summer of Love. Come feel the vibe of 1967 as Flower Power rules the night.
Celebrate with: Live art and interactive art activities, jazz, incense and peppermints, classic cars, flower power, folk, politicos, break dancers, Toaster Music sound installation, goats and chickens, bubbles, Big Hippie, the Knolls Ranger, free books, gift items, antiques, the Big Red Bus, and plenty of the unexpected.
- Summer Shutters 3.0 Photo Contest display will be in the Jones Gallery at Expo Arts Center. Winners and prizes will be announced at 8:00pm.
- Local band MOVE will perform the “Best of 1967” beginning at 7:30pm at “Ground Control”, 4313 Atlantic Avenue.
- When the sun goes down, Nino’s Italian Restaurant & Digital Installers will host a big screen projection of the 1967 “Monterey Pop Festival” and outdoor dining in Nino’s parking lot.
- Westerly School’s summer art camp will unveil a special First Fridays mural in front of Expo Arts Center.
- 7th District Councilmember James Johnson’s “First Books at First Fridays” will take the month off and return in September.
8th District Councilmember Al Austin’s “Council on Your Corner” will be set up at Atlantic & Burlinghall to meet and greet attendees.
Stop by Bella Cosa (3803 Atlantic) from 6:30pm – 8:00pm to find all the information about First Fridays, business info, and restaurant recommendations.
When the businesses start to close, “First Fridays After Hours” begins. Nino’s Italian Restaurant, The Factory, Willmore, and EJ Malloy’s go late into the night with food, drinks, and music. Why go home early? Stay out late and continue the energy.
Dine on Art-Lantic Avenue at one of our tasty restaurants then grab the Big Red Bus that will transport you venue to venue from designated stops at the participating businesses.
Full listing of participating businesses at: www.firstfridayslongbeach.com