Carnival del Corazon presents an “artfelt” benefit for Haiti
2010-02-23 · By Editor
On Sunday, Februrary 28, core organizers and participating artists will present “Carnival del Corazón – My h(ART) goes out to Haiti”, a heartfelt benefit and festival, benefitting the Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund.
The family-friendly event will begin at 4 p.m. and end at 9 p.m. for all ages at Hancock University Art & Design Center. An extended live music portion featuring rock and acoustic bands will take place at The Cellar from 8:00 p.m. to 1 a.m.
The suggested entry fee is a $5 to $20 donation; however, guests will not be turned away for lack of funds. All proceeds will be donated to the Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund, a division of the Yele Haiti organization founded by musician and activist, Wyclef Jean.
Highlights and entertainment at Carnival del Corazon include:
- A silent art auction
- A kid’s Corner showcasing art, crafts, poetry, literary projects, and other art-works
- An exclusive CD compilation featuring local, independent bands and singer-songwriters
- Fashion show
- Food vendors
- Free bike valet and bike safety checks
- Live music by over 20 local bands, singer-songwriters and local DJ’s
- Live painting, a public collaborative mural
- On-site haircuts
- On-Site T-shirt screen printing at both venues (guest encouraged to bring t-shirts for $5 screen print)
- Performances and Showcases: Acro-yoga, contemporary, cultural, fire dancing, West African
“We love having the opportunity to participate in something that means to world to so many,” said Melinda Clarkson, marketing and sales rep for The Cellar.
With the donation of portable restrooms from A-Throne Company Inc., contribution of art supplies from LYON and various offerings from other participating businesses, Carnival del Corazon is a truly joint effort of the Long Beach community.
Carnival organizers are also keeping the environment in mind. This event encourages eco-friendly forms of transportation with Pedal Movement sponsoring free bike safety checks and valet service. Long Beach Roller Derby Girls will also be on hand to showcase an alternative environmentally friendly way to ride.
Hancock University Art & Design Center, located at 1638 Long Beach Blvd Long Beach, CA 90813. The Cellar, located at 201 East Broadway, Long Beach, CA 90802. The sites offers limited lot parking, with additional parking on surrounding streets. Both venues are located near Metro Blue Line stops. For more information about Carnival del Corazon visit the LB Creative website at http://lbcreative.homestead.com.