City Council Authorizes Furloughs; City Hall Closing the Last Friday of Month
2009-05-14 · By Editor
The Long Beach City Council has authorized unpaid Employee furloughs to help address a $19.2 million General Fund shortfall this year, and Long Beach City Hall will be closed on the last Friday of the month from May through September, the end of the Fiscal Year. The dates are May 29, June 26, July 31, Aug. 28 and Sept. 25.
It is important to note that Public Safety and other emergency services will remain operational. In addition, many City Departments are able to schedule floating furloughs to provide services during these five “Furlough Fridays,” including Long Beach Airport, the Water Department, and the Port of Long Beach.
“We recognize that furloughs and their resulting reductions in service will have an impact on the community we serve, as well as on City Employees. But the City, like most other cities, is facing a financial crisis so serious that we simply must reduce expenses through furloughs in order to weather this extraordinary financial situation,” City Manager Patrick West said. “Throughout this difficult process, every effort has been made to maintain critical City services.”
These Long Beach Services Are Unaffected by Furloughs:
- Police, Fire and Paramedic emergency services will continue to be available 24/7 by calling 9-1-1.
- Other emergency services, such as Gas, Animal Care and Public Works (flooding, downed trees) will continue to be available 24/7 by calling 562.435.6711.
- The City Prosecutor’s Office will conduct normal business operations at Long Beach Superior Court, at Dept. 7 on the second floor.
- The Main Library and all the Neighborhood Libraries will be open with normal Friday hours (10 am – 5 pm).
- Refuse collection and street sweeping will occur as normally scheduled.
- All day camps, fee-based recreation classes and Municipal Band Concerts will operate as usual.
- All marinas, marina offices and launch ramps will be open.
- El Dorado Regional Park, and Rancho Los Alamitos will be open.
- Parking Enforcement and Towing will be operational. Parking citations can be paid on-line at http://www.longbeach.gov/commercial/parking_citations.asp UNLESS a vehicle has been towed; the Department of Motor Vehicles needs payment documentation; or a vehicle did not have license plates at the time of citation.
- Career Transition Center/Youth Opportunity Center, 3447 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, and Harbor WorkSource Center, 1851 North Gaffey St., San Pedro will be open.
Utility Services can be accessed 24/7 by calling 562.570.5700 or by visiting www.longbeach.gov and clicking on “Utility Services” under “Most Popular.” Residents can make payments using Visa or Mastercard; turn on, turn off or transfer utility service; and schedule a gas pilot service order.
In addition, residents can continue to make utility payments by cash or check at 16 locations throughout the City, listed at www.longbeach.gov.
Residents can also pay their utility bills by check at the secure depository box outside City Hall.
The Long Beach Service Centers will have different hours:
- The Multi-Service Center, 1301 W. 12th St., will remain open on the last Friday of the month, but will close on second to last Friday of each month.
- The North Facility Center, 6335 Myrtle, will be closed on May 22, open on May 29 and then closed on the last four Fridays of the month through September.
These Long Beach City Services will be closed on Fridays:
- City Hall, 333 W. Ocean Blvd.
- All City pools will be closed, except for private swim lessons.
- All Parks, Recreation and Marine administrative offices and Community and Senior Centers
- El Dorado Nature Center, Rancho Los Cerritos, and the gates to Davenport and Miracle on 4th St. parks.
- Fire Department Headquarters, 3205 Lakewood Blvd.
- Marine Safety Headquarters, 225 Marina Dr.
- Health Department Main Facility, 2525 Grand Ave., and all other facilities, except Multi-Service Center and North Facility Center noted above
- All Development Services, including inspections, plan submittals, phone inquiries, appointments, RDA programs and services
- All Long Beach Gas and Oil operations and administrative offices. The SERRF plant will remain open.
- Economic Development and Cultural Affairs Bureau, 110 Pine Ave., Suite 1100
- Long Beach Housing Authority, 521 E. 4th St.
- Housing Services Bureau, 110 Pine Ave., Suite 1200
- Neighborhood Services Bureau, 444 W. Ocean Blvd., Suite 1700
- The Center for Working Families, 1900 Atlantic Ave.
- Code Enforcement Division, 100 West Broadway, Suite 400
- The Neighborhood Resource Center, 425 Atlantic Ave.
- Anaheim Community Police Center, 1320 Gaviota Ave.
- Wilmore Community Police Center, 910 Daisy Ave.
- Wrigley Community Police Center, 2023 Pacific Ave.
- Torrance Workforce Center, 1220 Engracia St., Torrance
For more information visit www.LongBeach.gov.