Critical Home Repairs Available for Veterans Through Habitat for Humanity
2012-08-16 · By Editor
Immediate Opportunities for Qualified Households in Long Beach, Lynwood and South Gate
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles (HFH GLA) is pleased to offer free or deferred, zero-interest loans for home repairs to veteran and military homeowners and their families who reside in the greater Los Angeles area. This program is offered on a first come, first served basis.
This special program is available for low-income veteran homeowners and/or household members who were honorably discharged from the military. Examples of repair services include wheelchair ramps and interior home modifications for increased accessibility, landscaping, painting, window and roof replacement, as well as mechanical, electrical and plumbing upgrades.
To Qualify, Applicants Must Meet The Following Requirements:
- Be a homeowner or household member earning less than 80% of LA County’s area median income
- Repairs needed must meet program guidelines (see below)
- Submit an application. Applications may be obtained online here
Some of the Habitat for Heroes Guidelines include:
- Must demonstrate need. Homebuyers must be low-income, earning between 30-80% of area median income for Los Angeles County.
- Must be willing to partner with HFH GLA by: 1) Comple 200 sweat equity hours, 2) Complete an 8-hour HUD-certified pre-purchase homebuyer education workshop and an 8-hour Habitat Education Program, as well as additional courses through HFH GLA’s comprehensive homeownership education program.
- Must be able to make a small down payment.
- Additional guidelines may apply. Visit the HFH GLA for further details.
Funding is limited; therefore not all qualified applicants will be selected. For additional information about this program and to begin the application process, visit the HFH GLA website and click on Housing Initiatives/Habitat for Heroes or call 310-323-4663, ext. 176.