December First Fridays Promises Tree Lighting, Blessings, Carolers, Art, Music, and More!
2011-11-23 · By Editor
The 4th Annual Bixby Knolls Tree & Menorah Lighting Ceremony will take place by the fountains at Nino’s Italian Restaurant, 3853 Atlantic Avenue, beginning at 6:00pm. The entire community is invited to come celebrate this tradition with the lighting of the tree and Hanukah Menorah, listen to carols, and enjoy some hot chocolate. Lights get turned on at 6:30pm.
As this will be a community tree, the Bixby Knolls Business Improvement Association is encouraging the tree decorations be donated from area businesses, schools, and residents. Ornaments can either be dropped off at the BKBIA office at 4313 Atlantic Avenue prior to December 2, or brought to the tree lighting ceremony on December 2.
Tree lighting ceremony includes:
- Carolers and holiday music
- Blessing of the Hanukah candles
- Hot chocolate provided by Nino’s
- Bixby Belle passing out candy canes and Day-Glo bracelets to kids
- Post-ceremony parade led by local girl scout troop
First Fridays Highlights:
- First Books @ First Fridays – Dana Branch Library, 5:30pm. Guest readers: Community Leaders John Royce & Thor Carlson
- Santa’s Workshop at First Bank, 4040 Atlantic, with Santa, music, and Big Elf
- Long Beach Clothing Co. will donate 10% of all sales to the Bixby Knolls Camp Fire Neighborhood Association for its community tree planting project on January 8
- “Cider Stops” at About U, Averyboo Arts, Bella Cosa, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, It’s a Grind Coffee House
- Egg Nog at Roy Robbins Gifts & Stationery
- Scavenger Hunt for kids in six locations: Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Roy Robbins Gifts, Averyboo Arts, Bixby Exchange, EmbroidMe, and It’s a Grind.
- Uptown Village Market @ Expo Arts Center – www.uptownvillagemarket.com
- Comedy Improv Show “Wreck the Halls” at Elise’s Tea Room
- Over 10 music stations ranging from holiday songs, jazz, blues, rock, dance hits and the Sublime tribute band “Saw Red”
Support our local businesses by doing some of your holiday shopping on Friday night. There are many wonderful treats to purchase along Atlantic. The Big Red Bus will help you get to all the participating locations.
Stop by Bella Cosa (3803Atlantic) from 6:30pm – 8:00pm to find all the information about First Fridays, maps, business info, and restaurant recommendations.
When the businesses start to close, “First Fridays After Hours” begins across the district. Nino’s Italian Restaurant will host a fun mix of music, dancing, and late night dining. The Factory and EJ Malloy’s also go late into the night with dinner, drinks, music, and community mingling. Why go home early? Stay out and continue the energy.
Full listing of participating businesses at: www.firstfridayslongbeach.com.