First Fridays Creates “Art Amongst the Rubble” on Atlantic
2009-04-28 · By Editor
May Day! First Fridays, May 1, creates “art amongst the rubble.” Along the Atlantic corridor and behind the caution tape and delineators from the road construction, Bixby Knolls businesses will dust themselves off to shine and feature a variety of fun sights and experiences. Join us for an evening of dinner with friends at one of our local restaurants followed by a stroll or a ride in the Big Red Bus along Atlantic Avenue to discover the wonderful artwork and community being created in Bixby Knolls…inspite of the construction zone!
Some venues open at 6:30 pm. Big Red Bus arrives at 7:00pm. Venues can be found on Atlantic Avenue between Bixby Road and San Antonio Drive.
· Eat. Play. Grow., 4228 Atlantic Avenue, hosts the 10th Anniversary of Westerly School’s Fifth Grade Photo Project & Exhibit, celebrating the history of Long Beach, featuring photos and written pieces about key elements in the daily life of the City. Exhibit also includes a small presentation by the class describing the project. The Fifth Grade Photo Project represents Westerly’s educational philosophy of a multi-faceted approach to teaching. This year’s project and exhibit integrates history, writing and art.
· Historical Society of Long Beach, 4260 Atlantic Avenue, is hosting a book signing for Louise H. Ivers’ latest work, Long Beach: A History through its Architecture. 7p.m. to 9 p.m.
· Nino’s Italian Restaurant, 3853 Atlantic Avenue, hosts two artists. Carlos J. Flores shows his acrylic and charcoal on wood. Roberto Mungiua will be showing his work of oils and pastels on canvas. As always, great food, drinks and atmosphere. www.ninoslongbeach.com
· Long Beach Arts, 4332 Atlantic Avenue, will be having a new exhibit, “Chaos.” There will also be a group of four playing classical music on fifes. Also scheduled is an artist that performs amazing light pictures that move and swirl when a person passes by. www.long-beach-arts.org
· FreeSpirit Yoga, 3910 Atlantic Avenue, will feature Stephanie Han Windham showing her Graphic Flora series. Stephanie has always been interested in the beauty and complexity of floral forms, but wanted to marry the organic with the structure and order of graphic design. www.freespirityoga.com
· Vangie Ogg Photography and Pixie Toys, 3930 Atlantic Avenue, are hosting a friendly karaoke contest. Come in and get your Aretha Franklin on! One of the many prizes will includea Hot Mama Makeover and Portrait Session, a 2010 Graduating Senior Portrait Session and a Puppy-licious Portrait Session. www.oggstudio.com
· Averyboo Arts, 3908Atlantic, Averyboo Arts, 3908 Atlantic Ave, Kids & Families!! Come make your own ‘First Fridays’ Masterpiece. The ‘Open Studio’ will be open late and will include unlimited access to their painting easels, craft tables, block area, dress-up stage & more. Special pricing tonight is $10 for one hour, plus FREE face painting with any purchase. 80’s music provided by club Time Zone. 6:00pm -9:00pm www.averyboo.com
· Jammin’ Music, 3972 Atlantic Avenue, will be celebrating May Day on First Fridays! The festivities will start with a drum circle outside the store at 6p.m., followed by indoor drumming and a live pro musician jam at 7p.m. Watercolor and colored pencil drawings from our recent art class, “World of Color,” will be on display, and Jammin’ Music’s art instructor Marla Michika will be on hand to guide in-house free painting and drawing. 6p.m. – 9p.m. www.jamminmusic-lb.com
The Richard Goad Theatre, 4250 Atlantic Avenue, home of The Long Beach Shakespeare Company, will have actors in front of their Richard Goad Theatre. The players will be playing music, showing films and keeping Atlantic Avenue alive and festive. www.lbshakespeare.org
· Elise’s Tea Room, 3924 Atlantic Avenue, will feature the work of Peter Dopulos, a stone sculptor based in Long Beach. His art is collected by a diverse clientele, and he successfully shows throughout Southern California. Peter sculpts pieces using the traditional hammer and hand chisel method used by ancient masters and rarely seen in the modern world. “Stone is interesting because you’re creating with the very bones of the earth.” art, wonderful treats and great conversation. www.elisestearoom.com
· It’s A Grind, 4245 Atlantic Avenue, will feature live music Mary Denk, playing acoustic and indie rock, modern country. 8pm-10pm.
The mission of First Fridays is to promote and support local artists and musicians by providing them with an outlet to showcase their work. Every first Friday night of the month, participating Bixby Knolls businesses will unite to promote local artists and musicians through extended operating hours. In doing so we hope to encourage a dialogue between businesses, artists and the community. For complete information regarding the different venues, check the First Fridays website www.firstfridayslongbeach.com
To get the detailed venue listings and artist profiles, go to: www.firstfridayslongbeach.com.