Flu Shots Available From Long Beach Health Department
2013-01-29 · By Editor
Influenza is at epidemic levels in many areas across the country, and is increasing in Southern California. It is now even more important that all individuals receive a flu shot this year. The Long Beach Health Department is providing flu shots (while supplies last) on a walk-in basis for anyone age 10 and older as follows:
- Wednesday, January 30 1 pm to 4 pm
- Thursday, January 31 9 am to noon and 3 pm to 6 pm
- Friday, February 1 9 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm
Vaccine is also available on a limited supply to children from age 6 months through 9 years of age by appointment with the Health Department by calling 562.570.4315, or by coming to the walk-in clinic on Thursday, January 31, from 3 pm to 6 pm where the child vaccine will also be made available. The Health Department is located at 2525 Grand Ave., Long Beach, CA 90815.
The flu shot this year has been determined to be an excellent match to prevent this year’s strain of flu. Protect yourself and your family by getting a flu shot. If you are on Medi-Care, just bring your card.
According to Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the flu is one of the leading causes of death in the nation among people in all age groups. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC recommend annual seasonal flu vaccine for all children age 6 months to 18 years.
The Health Department also recommends that all persons practice healthy habits to prevent them from getting or transmitting the flu:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick,
- Stay home from work or school if you are sick,
- Cover mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze,
- Wash hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer frequently,
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth, and
- Eat healthy food, drink plenty of water, take vitamins, exercise, get plenty of rest, do not smoke, and avoid alcoholic beverages.
The Health Department’s vaccination information Shot Line is updated periodically with flu vaccine information, and may be reached at 562.570-SHOT (570.7468). For more information about flu disease and prevention, please visit www.longbeach.gov/health.