Found Theatre organizes emergency fundraiser for Haiti relief effort
2010-01-14 · By Editor
In order to get some quick cash to the Haiti relief effort, The Found Theatre is hosting an emergency fundraiser this Sunday evening, featuring fantastic music, comedy, poetry, spoken word…plus liquid refreshments and home-baked goodies.
Admission to the show will be “pay what you can” with 100% of the proceeds from tickets and refreshment sales going to the international humanitarian aid group Doctors Without Borders.
Doctors Without Borders has maintained a presence in Haiti for years. When the earthquake struck, they lost all three of their facilities but were immediately up and running in temporary quarters. Visit doctorswithoutborders.org for up-to-date information about their efforts in Haiti.
So far, the Haiti benefit show has nearly a dozen acts scheduled to perform including*:
- Singer/songwriter Kerry Getz with Rolly DeVore (kerry-getz.com; myspace.com/rollydevore)
- One of today’s hottest comedians: Lizzy Cooperman (myspace.com/lizzycooperman)
- Haitian jazz and reggae musician Willy Jean-Paul
- Local favorites: TED Bluegrass Band (myspace.com/tedbluegrass)
- Comedian Scott Boxenbaum (myspace.com/scott boxenbaum)
- Actress Jane Galloway
- Folksinger Laura Lindahl
- The Found’s fabulous Joyce Hackett belting a few tunes
- Political satire of Allen Sewell and Jane Hansen
- And, health permitting: Wildly popular folksinger Ross Altman!
The benefit show will take this Sunday, January 17 at 7 p.m. at the Found Theatre, 599 Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90802.
Performers and volunteers are still being accepted. If you would like to perform — or bake — contact Virginia DeMoss by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (562) 433-3363 or (562) 522-9604.
*Subject to additions and subtraction.