24-Hour Long Beach Hunger Strike to Benefit Local and World Hunger
2011-05-17 · By Editor
The 24-Hour Long Beach HUNGER STRIKE is Noon to noon: Fri., May 20 – Sat., May 21. Raising money and awareness for local and world hunger. Hosted by Justin Rudd and his nonprofit 501c3 Community Action Team (CAT). CAT is committed to donate up to $5,000 to local and global food/hunger organizations. For every person that successfully completes the 24-Hour Long Beach Hunger Strike, CAT will donate $30 toward hunger relief in our community and abroad. Additionally, for every $30 that a Hunger Striker raises, CAT will match it.
And, for every canned good collected during Belmont Shore’s Stroll & Savor (drop-off at CAT tent in front of Chase Bank from 5-9 p.m.) on Wed. & Thurs., May 18 and 19 and during the 30-Minute Beach Cleanup on Sat., May 21, 10 a.m., CAT will donate another $1 toward food/hunger organizations.
Every $30 raised can help feed and care for a child for a month in a foreign country.
Going without food for 24 hours is safe for most people. The following are NOT allowed to participate: those under age 12, pregnant or nursing women, the elderly, and those with certain medical conditions or eating disorders. Teenagers will need a parent’s written permission.
Participants are invited to:
- Experience hunger by going without food for 24 hours. Water encouraged.
- Learn about hunger and what is needed to fight poverty and injustice.
- Do something about hunger around us with optional service project opportunities.
- Fundraise or donate.
Every 10 seconds a child in this world dies of hunger – that’s 24,000 kids a day. More than 1 billion people go hungry every day. One in six people go to bed hungry at night.
Participants will be voluntarily fasting to help identify with the hungry and starving people they are trying to help. Drinking water is STRONGLY encouraged during the fast.
– Creation of a “fingerprint banner” during Stroll & Savor and at each event below, we will ask participants and the general public to dip their fingers in poster paint to help collect 8,000 fingerprints on a long role of paper, to represent the 8,000 kids under age 5 that die each day from hunger-related causes. For each fingerprint, CAT will donate 10 cents. Give all 10 of your fingerprints and CAT will donate $1.
– For every canned good collected during Belmont Shore’s Stroll & Savor (drop-off at CAT tent in front of Chase Bank from 5-9 p.m.) on Wed. & Thurs., May 18 and 19 and during the 30-Minute Beach Cleanup on Sat., May 21, 10 a.m., CAT will donate another $1 toward food/hunger organizations.
– 30-Minute Beach Cleanup service project, 10 a.m., Sat., May 21, please bring canned goods; remember $1 will be donated on your behalf for every canned good you donate. Free Beach Cleanup t-shirt when you donate 5 or more canned goods.
– Hunger Strikers are invited to serve food at the Long Beach Rescue Mission on Fri., May 20 from 5:30-7:30. Limit: 15 volunteers. RSVP to Justin@JustinRudd.com
– on-the-beach sunset share/support group on the boat launch ramp at 1 Granada Ave., Belmont Shore, 90803; Friday, 8-9 p.m., dress warmly, general public welcome. Please bring canned goods. Hear updates about hunger issues in Long Beach and around the world. Various speakers. RSVP to Justin@JustinRudd.com
– Hunger Strikers are invited to help cook/serve a pancake breakfast to the homeless in downtown Long Beach at St. Luke’s Church at 7:30 a.m. on Sat., May 21. Limit: 15 volunteers. RSVP to Justin@JustinRudd.com. Plug-in griddles, spatulas, food and financial donations needed. Also, please donate pre-packaged snacks that homeless individuals will be able to take with them. The homeless will also have opportunity for a hot shower at the church that morning. Local chefs (including Chef Stef from the Chef Stef Candy Company and Chef Michael Poompan from the Renaissance Hotel, and Chef Paul Buchanan from Primal Alchemy Catering) will help cook the pancakes.
– on-the-beach closing ceremony/reflection during the final ∏-hour, on the boat launch ramp at 1 Granada Ave., Belmont Shore, 90803; Sat., May 21, 11:30 a.m., general public welcome, bring canned goods.
TO PARTICIPATE IN THE STRIKE: Send a brief note indicating your intent to participate to Justin@JustinRudd.com AND again after your participation, so we know that you completed the 24-hour strike. Teens must also include a note from a parent before they can participate. Each confirmation nets $30 towards our goal to donate $5,000 to local and global hunger programs.
TO DONATE: Checks payable to CAT, 5209 E. The Toledo #1, Long Beach, 90803 and write “hunger strike” in the memo line. Or, use credit cards to send Paypal.com donations to the email address Justin@JustinRudd.com with a note of “hunger strike” along with the payment.