Justin Rudd’s 7th-annual “Long Beach Losers” Challenge Begins August 21
2013-08-14 · By Editor
Okay, you can win some (money, that is) and you lose some (pounds, that is) if you are part of this contest. My goal is to promote healthier lifestyles, prevent illness and better manage chronic diseases in the Long Beach area with this contest that focuses on weight control and camaraderie. Do you want to be fit or fat? You’ve got nothing to lose, but a few pounds. So, put your money where your mouth is, and let’s take it off! -Justin Rudd!
What is the “Long Beach Losers Team Challenge?”
- A 12-week weight-loss/wellness competition organized by Long Beach advocate and fitness expert Justin Rudd and sponsored by his nonprofit Community Action Team (CAT).
- The challenge will begin with a weigh-in on Wed., Aug. 21, 2013, 7-9 a.m. and 5-7 p.m. Each person will also weigh-in each Wed. during the contest period.
- Teams of five people compete to lose the highest percentage of weight – not necessarily the amount of weight – during the competition. (i.e. starting weight of 220 lbs. and ending weight of 200 lbs. would be a loss of 9% body weight)
- Cash prizes (based on number of participants) will be disbursed to the top teams and individuals at the end of the 12 weeks.
How does it work?
- Each team member must weigh in each Wed. from 7-9 a.m. or 5-7 p.m. Weigh-in usually takes about 2 minutes, depending on the number of people in line. Weigh-ins are private. Location:Belmont Athletic Club, 4918 E 2nd St., Belmont Shore, 90803 (across from Jamba Juice). MAP and pay $5 (cash only) per week to remain in the competition. You do NOT have to weigh-in with your teammates.
- Bring your first and final 7 week’s $5 ($40 total in cash or check) to the first weigh-in. We will accept cash or checks only at the initial weigh-in. Alternatively, you may pre-pay the entire $65 up front by cash or check.
- A participant can only be on one team.
- For every pound (or any fraction thereof) gained, as of the previous week’s weigh-in, the person must pay $2 (i.e. if you gained 1.2 lbs. since the last weigh-in, you’ll owe $4).
- If your weight stays the same from week to week, you’ll owe $2/week. The purpose of the contest is to lose, not stay the same. So, be sure to lose at least a 1/2 pound each week.
- Cash prizes are distributed at the end of the competition to the top teams and individual losers based on percentages. (Except for 20% of all funds received that will go to the nonprofit 501c3 Community Action Team (CAT) who administers this contest, all fees collected from team members are distributed to the winning teams and individuals in the end.)
Why will it be successful?
- Team effort motivates participants to stay focused on losing weight through diet and exercise.
- Cash prizes motivate participants to remain competitive throughout the 12-week program.
- Team members choose their own diet and exercise program.
Who can join the contest?
- Any business, civic organization, church, or individual may form a five-person team.
- Basically, it’s $65 for this contest (13 weigh-ins at $5 each). At the initial weigh-in, you must pay $40 by check or cash (includes the initial and final six weigh-ins). If you choose that route, all subsequent payments ($5/week for weeks 1-7), must be paid in cash. Or, WE HIGHLY SUGGEST you pay the entire $65 by check or cash at the initial weigh-in.
- Anyone who wants to lose weight (at least 12 lbs.) may participate – youth and adults.
- Please form your own 5-person team. We can help you find teammates. You must start the contest as a team of five. We can assign you to a team and can share our list of those looking for teammates, upon request.
- Event organizers may choose to not allow some folks to be in the contest, if they feel the person does not need to lose weight (i.e. too thin, pregnant).