LBCC to Host innovate!socal 2014 Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference
2014-01-10 · By Editor
Long Beach City College has announced the speaker lineup for its first major entrepreneurship and innovation conference, innovate!socal 2014, taking place on January 16, 2014 from 8:00AM to 6:00PM at the new Long Beach Arena.
Co-sponsored with The Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network and Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses, the conference brings together business and education leaders, and disruptive thinkers in economic development to determine how best to develop the entrepreneur ecosystem in Southern California. The speakers for the all-day conference include luncheon keynote Johnny Earle, founder and CEO of clothing brand phenomena, Johnny Cupcakes.
“We are excited to present innovate!socal 2014 which gives our community the chance to listen and interact with some of the most influential voices in entrepreneurship and economic development today,” said Eloy Oakley, Superintendent-President of Long Beach Community College District. “At the conference, we will also be sharing a special announcement regarding the launch of our Innovation Fund SoCal, which will provide much needed financing and training to entrepreneurs in biomed, cleantech and advanced manufacturing. I encourage entrepreneurs, educators, and local officials to attend this conference to learn how to drive innovation in our local economy.”
The conference begins at 8:00AM with a continental breakfast and the opening of the Entrepreneur Showcase. In addition to the keynote, the conference will feature four panel sessions and Cheryl Getuiza, Chief Correspondent for California Forward and former KTLA reporter, as master of ceremony.
Topics of the panels and speakers include:
Casting a Wider Net – Entrepreneurs Don’t Swim in Schools – 9:45AM to 10:45AM
- Jon Robinson, Manager of Entrepreneur Programs, Kauffman Foundation (Moderator)
- Jim Jonassen, CEO, Jim Jonassen & Associates Venture Search
- Elizabeth Stewart, Co-Founder & President, HUB Los Angeles
- Louis Stewart, Deputy Director, IHubs, California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development
How Do Entrepreneurs Learn? – 11:00AM to Noon
- Ted Zoller, Senior Fellow, Kauffman Foundation (Moderator)
- Amir Banifatemi, Managing Director, K5 Ventures
- Jeff Solomon, CEO, Amplify
- Vivian Shimoyama, Regional Executive Director, Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses
Luncheon Keynote – 12:15PM-1:15PM
- Johnny Earle, Founder and CEO, Johnny Cupcakes
Solving the Access to Capital Puzzle – 1:30PM to 2:30PM
- Paul Corson, Executive Director, Innovation Fund America (Moderator)
- David Carter, CEO, Upside LA
- Richard Koffler, CEO, Greenwings Biomedical
- Victoria Sassine, Mutual Fund Trustee, Managers Investment Group
- Greg Wendt, Senior Wealth Advisor, Stakeholder Capital & Co-Chair, Capital Action Team for CA Forward
Building a Community of Innovation – 2:45PM to 3:45PM
- Lou Anne Bynum, Executive Vice President of College Advancement and Economic Development, Long Beach City College (Moderator)
- Sean Arian, Vice President, Sustainability, Innovation & Emerging Tech, Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
- Matt Crowley, President, Los Angeles Venture Association
- Sunne McPeak, CEO, California Emerging Technology Fund
- Carrie Norton, Founder, Green Business Base Camp
General tickets for innovate!socal 2014 are $50, which includes access to all panels, continental breakfast, plated luncheon and admittance to the Entrepreneur Showcase and the General Reception from 4:00pm to 6:00pm. Attendees will receive special giveaways from Johnny Cupcakes and have access to the Entrepreneur Showcase at the conference.
Register online at http://www.innovatesocal.com/. The deadline for online registration is January 15. Walk-ins will be accepted.
About Long Beach City College
Long Beach City College is one of the largest single college districts in the California Community College System. LBCC is a comprehensive college which provides quality educational programs and related student services to nearly 30,000 students pursuing a wide range of degrees, certificates, transfer and other courses of study. LBCC is a driving force in the regional economy as lead host of the Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network, serving Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties; and, as the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Initiative site serving Southern California. In 2012, LBCC supported small businesses in creating 2,736 new jobs, increasing client sales by more than $133 million and helping clients access more than $83 million in new capital. LBCC’s economic activity generates over $2.12 million daily in the region’s economy. The College is also in the middle of a $700 million construction bond program that was approved by local voters.
About the Kauffman Foundation
The Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation is a private, nonpartisan foundation that works with partners to advance entrepreneurship in America and improve the education of children and youth. Founded by late entrepreneur and philanthropist Ewing Marion Kauffman, the Foundation is based in Kansas City, Mo. For more information, visit www.kauffman.org, and follow the Foundation on www.twitter.com/kauffmanfdn and www.facebook.com/kauffmanfdn.
About Johnny Cupcakes
Johnny Cupcakes is a T-shirt brand with stores in the US and UK set up like bakeries, including one located on 7959 Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles, with a passionate customer base that camps out to collect Johnny Cupcakes t-shirts. Over 1,000 loyal customers have the brand’s distinctive logo tattooed on themselves. Founder and CEO Johnny Earle has been recognized 4 years in a row for making it into the INC 500/5000 fastest growing independent companies in America, named Americas #1 Young Entrepreneur by BusinessWeek, and one of the top innovative people in Massachusetts by The Boston Globe. He has also been featured on MTV, NPR, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, and as a case study in several branding and business books. For more information, visit JohnnyCupcakes.com, and follow him on Twitter @JohnnyCupcakes.