LBFD to Hold Lifeguard Tryouts March 15
2014-03-07 · By Editor
On Saturday March 15, 2014, beginning at 8:00 a.m. the Long Beach Fire Department will hold an open test for anyone interested in becoming a Seasonal Lifeguard. Tryouts will be held at the Long Beach Lifeguard Beach Operations located at 2100 East Ocean Blvd (enter off Junipero Ave. for parking lot).
See below for qualifications, exam schedule, and duties.
- No prior training or experience is required
- 17 years of age as of July 1, 2014 – Proof of age required at time of conditional employment offer (valid Driver’s License or Birth Certificate).
- Any applicant under 18 years of age must possess a valid work permit from his or her high school, high school diploma or G.E.D. prior to the start of the training program.
- 8:00 a.m. Briefing and Sign-up
- 9:00 a.m. Ocean swim, 1000-yards
- 9:30 a.m. Run-Swim-Run
- 12:00 p.m. Announce candidate list for pre-employment scored oral interview
- 12:30 p.m. Pre-employment interviews begin
- 2:30 p.m. Pre-employee briefing
The 1000-yard ocean swim, run-swim-run, and the pre-employment scored oral interviews will determine who qualifies for the Training Program. Candidates will enter into the training program after successful completion of all pre-employment forms and a medical exam.
The 8-day, 80-hour Training Program is tentatively scheduled for the following four (4) consecutive weekends: Saturday, May 10-Sunday, May 11; May 17-18; May 24-25 and May 31-June 1. Training will be from 8:00 a.m. to approximately 6:00 p.m. daily and include training in lifeguard tactics, lifeguard operations, first aid, D.O.T. first responder, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, mechanical resuscitators, rescue buoys, rescue boards, and timed events. Day 8 will include comprehensive written and practical testing.
Trainees must successfully complete the Training Program to continue employment and may be assigned a schedule for the 2014 season. Schedules will be assigned based upon total scores accumulated during the Training Program. The starting pay for a Seasonal Lifeguard is $19.20 per hour, upon completion of the Lifeguard Training Academy.
Ocean Lifeguard Duties
- Watch a designated section of the beach and water from an assigned station
- Answer calls for help and perform rescue and resuscitation work
- Warn bathers of beach and water hazards
- Administer first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Use and maintain rescue equipment
- Take charge of lost children
- Answer questions of beach visitors
- Advise regarding local beach and waterway related ordinances
- Serve as a crewmember or ride-along on rescue boats and in lifeguard vehicles
- Assist in salvage operations of small boats and their property
- Complete and maintain activity records
- Perform other related duties as required