LBFD rescues electrocuted tree trimmer
2010-04-26 · By Editor
On Saturday afternoon, Long Beach Fire Department was called to the 6700 block of Monlaco Road to rescue a tree trimmer who had been electrocuted and was still in contact with the power lines.
When firefighters arrived on scene they found a man, who appeared to be in his 20’s, approximately 15 feet up in a cluster of trees. His tree trimming tool had come in contact with high voltage power lines welding it to the power lines and knocking him unconscious. The situation was made even more perilous for the patient and firefighters because the trees were positioned between two swimming pools with only a matter of feet to maneuver equipment on either side.
California Edison was immediately contacted to shut down the power feeding the involved power poles. Prior to shut down of power, which took roughly 20 minutes, the patient regained consciousness several times and was shocked between 4-6 times.
Firefighters rescued the tree trimmer within 30 minutes and he was transported to a local hospital conscious but in critical condition.