LBPD Issues Halloween Safety Tips
2011-10-25 · By Editor
Halloween can be great fun for both children and adults alike. The Long Beach Police Department would like to encourage residents to practice the following safety tips and exercise common sense to ensure everyone has a good time, safely.
- Be sure your child’s activities are age-appropriate
- All children should be accompanied by an adult
- Only visit homes that are well lighted and never go into a stranger’s house
- Stay on the sidewalk and only cross at corners
- Stay in well populated areas and never cut through alleys or parks
- Apply reflective tape to your child’s costume or use glow sticks for better visibility
- Use face paint rather than masks that may block your child’s vision
- Map out your route ahead of time and carry a flash light with you
- Ensure tips of any props (pitchfork, sword, etc.) your child is carrying are smooth
- Be cautious of animals, and keep pets indoors
- Inspect your child’s candy before allowing them to eat it
- Program the Long Beach Police Department’s Communication Center’s non-emergency phone number, (562) 435-6711, into your cell phone and report any suspicious or illegal activity immediately, or 9-1-1 for emergencies.
Reminder: The curfew law in Long Beach prohibits anyone 17 years old or younger from being out past 10:00 p.m. without a parent/guardian, unless going to or returning home from work or an organized event supervised by an adult, without any detour or stop.