LBPD Offers Halloween Safety Tips
2014-10-27 · By Editor
The Long Beach Police Department would like to warn parents about marijuana laced candy, and encourage the community to practice safety tips to ensure a fun and safe Halloween.
Can you identify which candies pictured in this photo are laced with marijuana? Surprisingly, all of them! These candies were found at various Long Beach marijuana dispensaries and may or may not come packaged. Parents are encouraged to check the candy their children bring home, and to dispose of anything that is not factory sealed. If unsure, but something looks or smells suspicious, get rid of it immediately. Although there have been no reported incidents in Long Beach where a child unknowingly ingested marijuana laced candy, parents should still take every precaution.
Other Halloween safety tips that are just as important are as follows:
- Be sure your child’s activities are age-appropriate
- All children should be accompanied by an adult
- Only visit homes that are well lighted and never go into a stranger’s house
- Stay on the sidewalk and only cross at corners
- Stay in well populated areas and never cut through alleys or parks
- Apply reflective tape to your child’s costume or use glow sticks for better visibility
- Use face paint rather than masks that may block your child’s vision
- Map out your route ahead of time and carry a flash light with you
- Ensure tips of any props (pitchfork, sword, etc.) your child is carrying are smooth
- Be cautious of animals and keep your pet(s) indoors
- Consider trick-or-treating at participating malls or shopping centers
- Report any suspicious or illegal activity by calling 9-1-1 immediately
- Look out for cars and if you are out driving, be sure to drive slow and cautious in areas where pedestrians are present
Reminder: The curfew law in Long Beach prohibits anyone 17 years old or younger from being out past 10:00 p.m. without a parent/guardian, unless going to or returning home from work or an organized event supervised by an adult, without any detour or stop.