Long Beach Shakespeare Company Sign Ups Start for Summer Drama Camp ’09
2009-05-23 · By Editor
“All the world’s a stage…”
This is the apt motto the Long Beach Shakespeare Company is adopting as they launch their first Summer Drama Camp. Located in Bixby Knolls, the LBSC is known for bringing the classics to the community via their staging of Shakespeare plays in parks throughout the city as well as at the Richard Goad Theater on Atlantic Blvd.
This year, with the recent addition of Co-Artistic Director Denis McCourt, the company has begun a Summer Drama Camp. The goal, says Mr. McCourt, is to teach acting, movement, music and other engaging technical aspects of theater to children in Long Beach and surrounding areas.
The Summer Drama Camp is the beginning of a long-term plan for LBSC, which will also be starting a drama academy in the fall while partnering with neighboring schools to teach literacy through art.
What will children do at Summer Drama Camp?
- Act. Dance. Sing.
- Play musical instruments.
- Create costumes and play dress-up to create characters.
- Create sets, sounds and lighting for the theatrical process.
- Learn how to create and tell a story.
- Gain confidence in themselves in a nurturing, expressive environment.
- Learn new communication skills that they can apply to school and family relationships.
- Perform and/or present in a final SHOWCASE on the last Friday of the session for their family members, friends and the community.
- And more…
There are three sessions planned for Summer Drama Camp in Bixby Knolls:
- Session #1: June 15th to June 26th (M-F 9am to 3pm)
- Session #2: July 13th to July 24th (M-F 9am to 3pm)
- Session #3: July 27th to August 7th (M-F 9am to 3pm)
The Summer Drama Camp, which will take place at the EXPO building at 4321 Atlantic Blvd., will have three 2-week sessions thorough the summer and will run from 9am-3pm for $225 per child. Eextended care is available to accommodate working parents for an additional fee. Ask about discounts for multiple sessions, multiple children or for paying early.
For more information or to pay online, log on to www.lbshakespeare.org or contact LBSC at 4250 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, 90807; (562) 997-1494.