Luminario Ballet Ready to Showcase its 2011 Beginning Repertory
2011-03-18 · By Editor
Founded in 2008 in Los Angeles, Luminario Ballet has already established itself as a dynamic contemporary ballet company whose premier performances never cease to amaze. They portray the vibrancy and diversity of Los Angeles culture in their performances. Managing Director, Judith FLEX Helle has combined traditional ballet styles with aerial dance and acrobatics set to both classical and modern genres of music. Now in YEAR THREE as a company, Luminario will premier its exciting new repertory in two three-night engagements in the Greater Los Angeles area.
Beginning April 8 thru 10 at the CSU Long Beach Martha B Knoebel Dance Theater and April 15-17 at the El Portal Theatre in North Hollywood, Luminario Ballet will showcase its 2011 beginning repertory. The performances will feature the premiere of “Lift Ticket”, choreographed by Director, Judith FLEX Helle. This electrifying piece combines ballet, aerial acrobatics, and sculptural movements into a spellbinding rendition. Additionally, the company will present the featured opening of “Luminate,” a captivating and romantic contemporary piece by Josie Walsh. Other stellar pieces being performed include memorable ballet en pointe by Southern California native choreographer Jamal Story, modern dance by contemporary dance legend Bella Lewitzky, and aerial works by Judith FLEX Helle (LedZAerial), Sita Acevedo, and Brett Womack. The repertory program includes:
- “Essays on Recovery Over/Under”, a solo piece choreographed by Jamal Story
- “TURF” by Bella Lewitzky, staged by Lewitzky Trust member John Pennington Repertory
- “If the Walls Could Scream” choreographed by Jamal Story, for Luminario Ballet
- “Kashmir” an excerpt from LedZAerial, choreographed by Judith FLEX Helle, Bianca Sapetto, Dreya Weber
- Excerpts from “Winterreise” choreographed by Judith FLEX Helle
- Aerial solo performance by Sita Acevedo, of Diavolo and Cirque du Soleil “KA!”
- Aerial solo performance by Brett Womack, of New Pickle Circus, Cirque Dreams
April 8-9 at 8pm and April 10 at 2pm Repertory Show at CSU Long Beach
April 15-16 at 8pm and April 17 at 3pm Repertory Show at El Portal Theatre
Martha B Knoebel Dance Theater, 6200 Atherton St. Long Beach, CA
El Portal Theatre, 5269 Lankershim Blvd. North Hollywood, CA
Tickets for the performances are:
General Admission $30, Students $15, VIP $75 CSU Long Beach.
Tickets range from $20 to $40 El Portal Theater
To purchase tickets visit www.luminarioballet.org.
Luminario Ballet performances are at the forefront of modern and aerial dance in Los Angeles and are something that must not be missed. For more information about the event please call: (818) 395-6506 or visit: www.luminarioballet.org.