Public Invited to 2015 Harvey Milk Induction Ceremony of Local LGBTQ Leaders
2015-05-06 · By Editor
The Harvey Milk Promenade Park (HMPP) Committee and Councilwoman Lena Gonzalez invite the public to celebrate the inductions of this year’s 2015 Harvey Milk honorees on Wednesday, May 13th at 12:00 noon. Six local lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/or queer (LGBTQ) community leaders will be inducted into the Equality Plaza portion of the park which was created to recognize local LGBTQ leaders who have advocated for equal rights, AIDS research, historic preservation, homelessness and other issues.
“I am proud that the Harvey Milk Promenade Park Committee is continuing to honor such influential LGBTQ activists in our community,” said Councilwoman Gonzalez. “It is important to acknowledge their accomplishments and to never forget the work they have done for Long Beach LGBTQ rights.”
Each recipient is honored with a plaque at Equality Plaza, the centerpiece of the park that commemorates Milk and local gay leaders. The plaza includes a concrete replica of the soapbox on which Milk stood to inspire crowds when he spoke, and a 20-foot flagpole flying the gay pride flag. Harvey Milk Promenade Park opened two years ago and is the first park in the nation to be named after Milk.
“I want to congratulate all the honorees, and thank them on behalf of the city for their outstanding contributions,” said Mayor Garcia. “My thanks also to Councilwoman Gonzalez for carrying on this tradition in Harvey Milk Promenade Park.”
Each year, the HMPP Committee nominate and select the honorees to be inducted at the park. The committee’s nomination process requires these criteria: the individual must identify as a member of the LGBTQ community, whether living or deceased, and the individual must have exceptional or outstanding contribution or service to the Greater Long Beach Area LGBTQ community.
“The park and Equality Plaza represent Harvey’s message and legacy of civil rights, not only carried out by local LGBTQ leaders but also celebrate the diversity in Long Beach that will endure for future generations of leaders,” said Raul A. Añorve, Chair of the HMPP Committee.
The 2015 honorees are:
- Marilyn Barlow (Co-founder, Long Beach Pride)
- Norman B. Reed, Posthumous honor (Board member, The Center; Grand Prix Committee of 300; the Mayor’s Office; Long Beach City College; Goodwill of Long Beach; and Leadership Long Beach)
- Judi Doyle (Co-founder, Long Beach Pride)
- Dave Newell (Longest President, Long Beach Lambda Democratic Club; Historical Society LGBTQ Exhibit)
- David Hensley (Former teacher; Historical Society LGBTQ Exhibit; 25 years volunteer at ONE Archives; LGBTQ Caucus of the National Education Association)
- Rick Ford (Produced the first Coronation Ball of The Royal Court of Long Beach; established the International Imperial Court of Long Beach)
The park is located at 212 East 3rd Street. The ceremony will include Harvey Milk birthday cake and refreshments. There is free two hour parking located at City Place – Parking Lot C at 51 East 3rd Street Long Beach, CA 90802.
For more information about the committee visit: Facebook.com/HarveyMilkPromenadeParkCommittee.LongBeach
Thank you to the Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine and Development Services for supporting this event.