El Dorado Nature Center Makes Science Really Fun
2011-06-03 · By Editor
Spark a love for science and nature in your child that will last a lifetime. The Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine’s Super Science Series, held at El Dorado Park Nature Center will broaden your child’s understanding of the natural world through a variety of educational and fun activities. Register right away for these fun and educational classes – they fill-up fast! Weekly sessions run between June 20 and August 26.
The PRE-SCHOOL SUPER SCIENCE classes are a chance to start your child early on a love of nature. These week-long classes will give your child a valuable “school” experience in the beautiful natural setting of El Dorado Nature Center. Classes are for three to five year olds, cost is $45 per week for either morning or afternoon classes and include:
- CREATURE COMFORTS – June 20-24 – Discover amazing ways animals make their homes – in the trees and under leaves, in the water and on the ground.
- BUG BOOGIE – July 5-8 – Investigate the incredible insects that are movin’ and groovin’ under rocks, in the trees, on flowers and in the pond
- SIMPLY SCIENCE – July 18-22 – Discover basic scientific concepts while exploring all the Nature Center has to offer.
- MOTHER EARTH – August 1-5 – Our home and we love her! How does our “Mama Earth” provide us with all we need?
- FUN WITH FOLIAGE – August 15-19 – Learn beginning science skills while hiking on the trails, playing games, singing songs and creating art with leaves.
- SILLY SUMMER STORIES – August 29-September 2 – Bring your imagination and sense of adventure as we share our favorite books beneath the trees
The Youth Super Science Series classes are for ages six to nine. Participation will broaden your child’s understanding of the natural world through a variety of educational and fun activities. Cost is $50 per week for either morning or afternoon classes and include:
- ANIMAL TRANSFORMERS – June 27-July 1 – Learn the wonderful ways living things can change shape, color and size in order to disguise.
- BUG STORY – July 11-15 – Stop look and listen for the coolest critters in the woods telling their “bug story” as we turn over leaves, explore the pond, dig in the dirt and learn about the wonderful life of insects
- FROM THE INSIDE OUT – July 25-29 – Discover how snakes make venom, how skunks spray and the amazing anatomy of flight, plus more.
- 3D PHOTOGRAPHY – August 8-12 – Create 3D photos from subjects on the trail and our own artwork. You’ll see nature in a whole new way!
- REPTILES GALORE – August 22-26 – Come find out what makes reptiles so cool, where they live and how they’ve lasted so long.
Space is limited and pre-registration is required. Call the Nature Center at (562) 570-1745 for workshop information. Located at 7550 East Spring St. in Long Beach, the Nature Center offers many other classes and activities for the young and the young at heart. Call the Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine Registration/ Reservation office at (562) 570-3111 or visit www.LBParks.org to register.
For information on other programs for youth, call the Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine office at (562) 570-3100 or visit www.LBParks.org.