Science really is fun at El Dorado Nature Center day camp
2009-07-02 · By Editor
Spark a love for science and nature in your child that will last a lifetime. The Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine’s Super Science Series, held at both the El Dorado Park Nature Center and Colorado Lagoon Wetland and Marine Science Center, will broaden your child’s understanding of the natural world through a variety of educational and fun activities. There are summer day camps for kids ages 3 to 9 years old. Register right away – they fill-up fast!
The Pre-school Super Science classes are a chance to start your child early on a love of nature. These week-long classes will give your child a valuable “school” experience in the beautiful natural setting of El Dorado Nature Center. Classes are for three to five year olds, cost is $45 per week for either morning or afternoon classes and include:
- There is no Place like Home – July 6-10 – Come search for webs, dens and nests.
- Crafty Cozy Critters – July 20-24 – Discover squirrels, bunnies and other woodland honeys.
- Enchanted Forest Fun – August 3-7 – Explore hidden trails and stories of real and imaginary creatures.
- Worms Are Wonderful – August 17-21 – Wormy stories, wormy games, wormy crafts and a worm bin to take home.
The Youth Super Science Series classes are for ages five to nine and all students must have completed kindergarten. Participation will broaden your child’s understanding of the natural world through a variety of educational and fun activities. Cost is $50 per week for either morning or afternoon classes and include:
- Creature Sleuths: Search for the Truth – July 13-17 – Read classic literature about some of the creatures in the Nature Center.
- Ships Ahoy – July 27-31 – Explore the trail for materials to make miniature ships and float them on the Nature Center lake on a voyage of discovery.
- Pondering the Pond – August 10-14 – Explore the ponds and learn about the plants and animals that call them home.
- Art, Photography and Nature – August 24-28 – Create sculptures on the trail, photograph them and prepare an art exhibit.
The Super Science at the Wetland classes are held at the Colorado Lagoon Wetland and Marine Science Education Center. Classes are for ages six to eight years and the cost is $50 per week for either morning or afternoon classes and include:
- Super Heroes of the Environment – August 3-7 – Discover the strategy of the “Pollutionators” and how they sneak their trash into the wetlands.
- Animal Trackers– August 10-14 – Become an expert tracker as we search for animal clues to the amazing creatures lurking in the lagoon.
- Predators of the Dark Lagoon – August 17-21 – The lagoon looks calm, but what lies beneath the surface – ultimate predators?
Space is limited and pre-registration is required. Call the El Dorado Nature Center at (562) 570-1745 for workshop information. Located at 7550 East Spring Street in Long Beach, the El Dorado Nature Center offers many other classes and activities for the young, and the young at heart.
The Colorado Lagoon and Wetland Science Center is located at 5119 East Colorado Street. Call the Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine Registration/ Reservation office at (562) 570-3111 or visit www.LBParks.org to register.