Symphony POPS! Wraps Season with ‘Night at the Movies’
2009-05-06 · By Editor
Legends of American Film Music, the final concert of the Long Beach Symphony’s 2008-2009 POPS! season is scheduled for 8 p.m. Saturday, May 16. Patrons attending the Long Beach Arena event will be treated to a “night at the movies.”
Under the baton of guest conductor Larry Blank—a noted composer and arranger of film scores and other works—orchestra members will perform iconic selections from cinematic gems such as Citizen Kane, All About Eve, How the West Was Won, Laura, The Sound of Music, Superman—The Movie, and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.
Film scores are frequently vocal as well as instrumental. Consequently, Valerie Perri—a singer boasting impressive “Broadway and beyond” credentials—will join Maestro Blank and LBSO musicians on stage.
The May 16 Symphony POPS! program:
- Alfred Newman, Overture to All About Eve
- Alfred Newman, Theme from How the West Was Won
- Bernard Herrmann, Overture to Citizen Kane
- David Raksin, “Love Is for the Very Young” from Bad and the Beautiful
- David Raksin, Laura’s Theme from Dr. Zhivago
- Marc Shaiman, Theme from The American President
- Rodgers and Hammerstein, Prologue to The Sound of Music
- Harold Arlen/Hugh Martin, Judy Garland Overture, Judy Garland Medley
- James Monaco, “You Made Me Love You (I Didn’t Want to Do It)” from Broadway Melody of 1938
- George Meyer, Theme from For Me and My Gal
- Ralph Blane/ Hugh Martin, “The Trolley Song” from Meet Me in St. Louis
- Medley: Oscar-Nominated Songs
- John Williams, “Superman March” from Superman—The Movie
- John Williams, “Adventures on Earth” from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
- Rodgers and Hart, “This Can’t Be Love” from The Boys of Syracuse
- Lerner and Loewe, “Almost Like Being in Love” from Brigadoon
- Arthur Schwartz, Main title from That’s Entertainment!
- Marvin Hamlisch, Theme from The Way We Were
Note: Program is subject to change.
Doors open at 6:30 p.m. for “southern California’s greatest indoor musical picnic.” Long Beach Symphony POPS! patrons are encouraged to enjoy picnic dinners at their tables or loge/balcony seats. Alcohol is permitted at these concerts, and patrons typically bring bottles of wine. Concertgoers provide their own picnic, have them professionally catered or visit concessionaries at various points in the arena.
Tickets for this 2008-2009 POPS! finale range from $15 to $107 (premium table seating on the Long Beach Arena floor). They’re available from the LBSO box office (562.436.3203, ext. 1) and Ticketmaster (213.480.3232). Online purchases can be made at lbso.org, which offers more information about this particular concert and the orchestra’s upcoming 75th-anniversary season.