Taste of Downtown Sets a Table in the East Village for Al Fresco Dining
2011-06-02 · By Editor
On June 8 and 9, 2011 from 6 to 9 p.m. the Taste of Downtown returns to the East Village Arts District with two evenings of delicious food that will tantalize taste buds, accompanied by festive live music and art displays. Hosted by the Downtown Long Beach Associates (DLBA), the Taste of Downtown will take place on First Street between Linden and Elm Avenues and feature delicious cuisine from more than a dozen Downtown Long Beach restaurants.
The popular Taste of Downtown series, which takes place three times each year, offers residents and visitors an opportunity to enjoy sample-sized servings of signature dishes from some of their favorite Downtown restaurants in an unique outdoor setting.
Participants at this year’s Taste of Downtown Long Beach in the East Village will include:
- Auld Dubliner: Brown bread ice cream; friend mac-n-cheese; whiskey chicken boxty
- AVIA: Blue agave meatballs w/ Patron BBQ sauce; Dungeness mac-n-cheese truffle; watermelon & mint soda
- Buono’s: Traditional & gourmet pizza slices; eggplant parmiggiana
- Creme de la Crepe: Dessert crepes; savory crepes
- District Wine: Hot roasted bar nuts w/dark chocolate; macaroons; premium selection of white or red wine
- Gladstone’s: Lobster mac-n-cheese
- Kabob Curry: Chicken tikka masala; naan; basmati rice; palak paneer; mango lassi
- Mabel’s Gourmet Pralines: Praline candy; banana pudding
- Parkers’ Lighthouse: Jambalaya
- Quick Subs: Menu TBD
- Reef Restaurant: Hummus; meatball slider
- Sky Room: Duck Confit taco, forbidden rice, blackberry sauce; lobster roll sandwich w/ crushed salt & vinegar chips; mini crème brulee tarts
- Utopia: Salmon; chicken curry; pasta salad
- Village Grind: Chili w/ cornbread; warm brownie w/ ice cream; sweet beef satay; amaretto cream iced cafe
“Taste of Downtown is an excellent opportunity for consumers to sample dishes from their favorite restaurants and to try something new,” said DLBA President and CEO Kraig Kojian. “Downtown is full of choices when it comes to dining and this event really showcases the diversity and quality of the overall experience.”
Yo Pitzy Jug Band and Paddy’s Pig will perform, filling the East Village with music as guests feast under the stars. Attendees will also enjoy live painting demonstrations by TinderBox and mobile art displays by Some Things Creative, both featuring Long Beach artists.
Tickets can be purchased in advance at www.downtownlongbeach.org or at the event for $1 each (or 12 for $10 and 24 for $20). Each restaurant will redeem tickets in exchange for a serving of their signature dish(es). Those who purchase a pack of 24 tickets will receive a complimentary ticket to the Aquarium of the Pacific (while supplies last), valid any day until June 1, 2012. Those who bike to the event will enjoy complementary bike valet (located at First and Elm), receive one additional free Taste ticket (with purchase of first ticket booklet only) and can take advantage of discounts offered by participating merchants.
For more information please call (562) 436-4259 or visit www.downtownlongbeach.org.