This Weekends Beach Streets Fun Begins at First Fridays
2015-06-03 · By Editor
Join us for a weekend celebration of all things non-motorized starting with First Fridays Beach Streets Kick-Off on June 5! Ride, walk, skate, or unicycle to Atlantic Avenue for a night of art, music, and community. And don’t forget to come back the following day, June 6, for more pedestrian friendly activities at Beach Streets!
- Join Tuttle Camera for their First Fridays photo class. This month focuses on The Art of iPhoneography.
- Drop into the Allery for live painting and beats by DJ Bix. PADNet will be on site to capture all the action.
- Preview Exhibition at the Historical Society of Long Beach for Breaking Through Lighting the Way: Historic photographic restorations by Sunny Nash and artifact collections by Carolyn Smith Watts.
- The poets are back by popular demand at Elise’s Tea Room with a line-up of orators that should not be missed. Seating is limited so arrive early.
- Bixby Knolls Wedding Collective has put together the neighborhoods first pocket park vow renewal at 3850 Atlantic Avenue. The festivities start at 7pm.
- The Expo Arts Center will be filled inside and out with art, music, and locally sourced treats during First Fridays. Over 20 artists, including Squeeze Art Collective, will fill the main room and beats will be provided by DJ Phil. Toaster Music is back in the North Gallery with art by steam punk surrealist Vince Mattina, special musical guest Art Waldez, and the Maha and Company dancers. The South Gallery will feature an amazing collection of surrealist and abstract art from Connie Ericson along with Brandon Medrano, Ryan Otto, Kim Morton, and Brandon Singleton.
- The Kids Theatre Company will be performing scenes from Cinderella and The Wedding Singer from 7-7:30p in the north theatre of Expo Arts Center.
- Stroll through the First Fridays Farmecy outside of Expo Arts Center and grab some tasty natural treats form our local growers.
- Catch a preview of the North Long Beach Photo Project in the north room of the Expo Arts Center.
- The Boy Scouts are back for the summer and will be roasting up s’mores at the corner of Roosevelt and Atlantic.
- Stop into Jammin Music for their monthly student showcase. Around 8:30 the students will perform a very special tribute to Nirvana.
- The Kidz Crafts Zone will be located at Oh Very Young and will feature a helmet decorating station!
- FREE parking at the Bixby Business Center on the corner of Atlantic and San Antonio.
- Join TALB for music, art, and fun activities.
- Special musical guests for the month: King Kang at Aura Thai/Bella Pizza, The Hawkline Monster at Historical Society of Long Beach, Eusebio Akasa and Desirable D at About U, DJ Bix at the “Allery”, John Dean at Clover, Sparrow at DRNK, Kapali Long at Oh very Young, and Michelle Mangione at Coffee Bean.
- First Fridays favorites are back such as MOVE at Ground Control, Hedgehog Swing at 3939 north platform, Laura Wiley at Wilmore Wine Bar, Los Baranabas Boy at The Factory, The Funny Valentines at The Breakfast Club of Long Beach, Joe Perez at Bake n Broil, Lee Hansen at Goldhill Salon and Hot Club at Georgie’s Place.
- The Homeland Cultural Center will be pop locking with the help of Dubs One spinning all the best hip-hop and R&B and the First Fridays spray crew providing the art on 3939 South.
- Get your vinyl fix with the Record Truck!
- Stop by Clover (3803 Atlantic) from 6:30pm – 8:00pm to find all the information about First Fridays, business info, and restaurant recommendations.
When the businesses start to close, “First Fridays After Hours” begins. Nino’s Italian Restaurant, Weiland Brewery, The Factory, Willmore, Atun, and EJ Malloy’s go late into the night with food, drinks, and music. Why go home early? Stay out late and continue the energy Dine on Art-Lantic Avenue at one of our tasty restaurants then grab the trolley that will transport you venue to venue from designated stops at the participating businesses.