Councilwoman Schipske to Introduce Vial of L.I.F.E. Program at St. Mary Safety Fair For Seniors
2012-05-30 · By Editor
Imagine that you are home alone when you begin experiencing chest pain. You call 9-1-1 and then collapse. Paramedics come to your home but you are unable to give them the information they need about your medical history and your medications. They notice a magnet on your refrigerator that tells them you have a “VIAL of L.I.F.E.” inside the refrigerator. They find the vial and the important information they need.
On May 31, St. Mary Medical Center will host a senior safety fair from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the John Parr Health Enhancement Center on campus at St. Mary at 1055 Linden Avenue in Long Beach. The event will begin with a press conference with Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske, who will introduce the Vial of L.I.F.E., a lifesaving medical information kit. “The VIAL of L.I.F.E is a nationally recognized program that assists emergency medical workers when responding to and treating individuals during home medical emergencies,” explains Councilwoman Schipske, who is a Registered Nurse Practitioner and a former Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). “It’s free. It’s simple and it works.” Partners in the program include St. Mary Medical Center, Long Beach Firefighters Association, Walmart, and Seaside Printing.
VIAL of L.I.F.E. kits include: a large pill vial, instruction sheet, medical information sheet, refrigerator magnet and a sticker to be placed on front doors.
“VIAL of L.I.F.E. kits will be available at St. Mary Medical Center Senior Services at 1055 Linden Avenue, and the 5th Council District Neighborhood office at 2760 N. Studebaker Rd.
Other key presenters include:
- Trauma & Injury Incidents in Seniors – James Murray, M.D., Medical Director of Trauma Services
- Medication Safety – Ajay Meka, M.D., Medical Director, Senior Clinics
- Making a Home Disaster Kit – Kathy Dollarhide, R.N., Emergency Preparedness Coordinator
- Fall Prevention – Jason Koh, D.O., Physical Medicine and Rehab, Medical Director, Outpatient Rehab
The following will be featured:
- Foot Screening by Rory Friedman, DPM
- Immunization Assessment
- Low Vision Screening
- Senior Connections – Free Grab Bar Install
- Validated $2.00 Parking (SLB requested)
- (Free with Gold Senior Health membership card)
- Alcohol Prevention & Education
- Blood Pressure Check
- Cholesterol Screening (8-hr fast required)
- Diabetes Education
- Disaster Preparedness
- Driver Safety Information
- Wobbly Walkers (wheelchair, walker & cane repairs)
- Glucose (diabetic) Screening
- Fall Risk Assessment
- Stroke Prevention Education
- Fire Safety (LB Fire Dept.)
- Fiduciary Abuse (LB Senior Police Partners)
- Vial of L.I.F.E. (Councilwoman Schipske)
- Snacks & Light Lunch
- Raffle Prizes
About St. Mary Medical Center
St. Mary Medical Center, a member of Dignity Health, has cared for the people of the Long Beach area since 1923. With more than 500 physicians, 1,456 employees and 389 patient beds, St. Mary is committed to providing a unique balance of leading edge technology while ensuring dignity and compassionate care of body, mind and spirit to the community it serves. St. Mary Medical Center is a leading Disaster Resource Center and a Level 2 Trauma Center, which has an island, airport, and port under its jurisdiction. For more information, please visit us at www.stmarymedicalcenter.org.